Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Vintage Yoyo's!

While at Mom's last weekend, she dug out a bag of scraps for me to bring back to the city. They're scraps from sewing she did for all of us kids when we were kids in the sixties and seventies. In the bag was this bunch of yoyo's that I'd made from scraps. I don't remember ever having made so many of them! There's not enough for a quilt but there's certainly enough to do something with them. I think I'll incorporate them somehow in the quilt we make with the scraps.

I like looking at these and remembering the dresses and blouses and other things Mom had sewed me.

There are a couple from "the bathing suit". Let me tell you about the bathing suit keeping in mind that this is the story as clearly as I remember it, meaning there could be some variance but honest, I'm not exaggerating. At least not to my mind.

So ...

When I was about 5 or 6, Mom made me a one-piece bathing suit. I soon outgrew it so she cut in in half making it a two piece. I was able to wear it that way for a few more years. Eventually, instead of growing straight up, I began to fill out a little so she split the sides and the back and added some rivets and laces allowing me to wear it for several more years. I think I wore that bathing suit until I finally got a new one from the Sears catalogue when I was 14! My Mom has always been both resourceful and creative. I still remember that bathing suit fondly and I'm glad there are some scraps to add to a quilt.
Posted by Picasa

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful way to save memories. . . and love the bathing suit story!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification thing. Without the comment spammers are relentless!

Thanks for commenting!