Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Lightening The Load

I can't resist the occasional peanut butter and banana sandwich for lunch!

Today I've been busy in that storage room. I have sorted through a mountain (not much of an exaggeration) of papers and stuff. Much of it will be shredded and thrown away. The innate librarian in me was never able to throw away a good piece of information, a quote, an inspiring image, and so forth and then file it away in an elaborate vertical file system. That was before the internet. Long before. There was a whole lot of that stuff that was just needlessly taking up space. I have to remind myself to be fierce about getting rid of things that really are of no value to us. I'm genetically predisposed to keeping. For example, I KNOW I'm never going to make that item for which I clipped the instructions from a magazine! Pitch it already! I still have piles of stuff to go through. Large piles of the kids' school work ... lots can go, some will be kept. And school supplies! My how they've gathered over the years. I'll have a large box to deliver to the school.

I did come across a bunch of scattered items of sentimental value ... mementos from weddings, births and deaths ... newspaper clippings about people I'm fond of. I found Barb and Kevin's wedding napkins, Elaine's funny pre-wedding photo where it looks like the priest is grabbing her boob, Uncle Keith's eulogy, memories of Auntie Jean, Auntie Elsie, cousin Bob, my Dad, Laurie and Mark's wedding, A newspaper clipping of Cowboy Wade in action, newspaper clippings about Uncle Reg, Hannah's music festival results, Luke's sporting recognitions, ticket stubs from concerts, programs from plays, and so much more. I just kept throwing it into my "sentimental folder", which I will go through more thoroughly later. There was much already in it that I haven't even looked at yet. I want to take some time to enjoy it.

Last night we had a very nice dinner at Jim and Lynne's. Graham and Allan are so interesting as they grow and mature. They're smart as can be! I can't wait to see where their lives take them. They both went out with friends for the evening. For dessert, Lynne made a scrumptiously rich and chocolaty cake decorated so prettily! I tell you, they threw me a surprise that almost knocked me over. I couldn't figure out what was going on until it hit me. I won't elaborate quite yet ... I will later ... but man, I was SURPRISED! It was kind of funny! And very sweet! I'm not just talking about the cake.

I was beat and hit the hay early. It's been a cycle lately of one night of bad sleep followed by a sleepy day and a solid night's sleep and then another night of poor sleep and so forth. Last night I had a relatively good sleep while Kevin met up with the guys for some poker.

Today we'll go to Ron and Patty's to watch the Superbowl game! Go Saints!

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry for the word verification thing. Without the comment spammers are relentless!

Thanks for commenting!